Sunday, June 10, 2007

Long Time No Post

I've been terribly neglectful on the food blogging front but Matt and I have been really busy and not cooking every day. My parents are coming to visit us from Florida and we have been trying to get our act together around the house. But enough about that, here's what we've been making:

Last week, I got some purple scallions. Aren't they pretty? I made a miso soup with them. Matt and I have been out for Japanese food a few times in the last two weeks and we've decided that we can no longer enjoy ordering miso soup in restaurants because it is like a bowl of pond water compared to the miso soup we make at home. If you love miso soup give this recipe a shot, you'll never view restaurant miso soup the same way again.


We've been doing a lot of cookbook cooking. We made Balsamic Glazed Mushrooms and Garlicky Greens with Tahini Dressing from Vegan With A Vengeance. Both recipes were really good although my pictures of them didn't turn out as nicely as I would have hoped.



We also tried out a few recipes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. We tried the Cappuccino cupcakes which were good but not amazing. If I were to make them again I think I'd skip the coffee flavored pastry cream filling in favor of something that had more of a flavor contrast to offer. We also made the Tiramisu cupcakes which were really good but if you are looking for a more true-to-the-original tiramisu experience this tiramisu recipe is the way to go.



Lastly, Matt and I had friends over on Friday and I made some really good chickpea bruschetta. I regret that I did not write down the exact proportions of my ingredients but I don't think this is the kind of recipe you really have to measure to get right.

Ingredients:
6 vine ripened tomatoes, chopped (with their juice)
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
balsamic vinegar to taste
olive oil to taste
salt to taste
a bunch of fresh chopped basil
a bunch of fresh chopped oregano

I combined all of the above in a bowl and stirred it up and then spooned the mixture onto a loaf of sliced toasted French bread that had been rubbed with garlic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was really looking forward to making those tiramisu cupcakes for my birthday. I'm definitely going to try your recipe instead.

Insomniac Chef said...

The VCTOW cupcakes really are very good and pretty. I do recommend them. I just found the tiramisu recipe I made up a little more tiramisu-ish. It really depends on what you are aiming for. Both recipes are worth trying out since they each have their own sort of yumminess to offer.

Caty said...

All your food looks tasty, especially the tiramisu cupcakes!

theONLYtania said...

Hey, just found your blog. I like it! Thanks for the bruschetta recipe.. I'm having an apartment-warming party soon and have been looking for good snacky foods to make.