Monday, July 2, 2007

The Farmers Market



Since Matt and I are insomniacs, we rarely we up early enough on weekends to hit the farmers market. This past weekend however we stayed up late enough to check it out. We stocked up on exotic goodies we do not see every day including:
- Squash Blossoms
- Honey Mushrooms
- Purple Bell Peppers
- Sweet Beets
- Garlic Scapes
- Gooseberries

Our Loot:


We peeled and sliced the beets (which were beautiful inside) and roasted them at 400 degrees with olive oil, salt and pepper until they were tender. They were so good I wish we'd bought more. This is what they looked like when sliced open:



We got our mushrooms from this crazy mushroom stand that had every mushroom under the sun. We considered getting some Morels but they were $15!



To prepare our squash blossoms we stuffed them with a mixture of vegan cream cheese, chopped fresh basil and shredded vegan mozarella, dipped them in a mixture of flour and soy milk (about 3 T flour and 1/2 cup soy milk) and fried them. They were tasty but fried food is not really our thing and they were a little too heavy for us to eat them all on our own. If we get squash blossoms again I will have to find another way to prepare them, but I certainly enjoyed the novelty of a new veggie.

2 comments:

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I've never heard of honey mushrooms - how did you like them?

Insomniac Chef said...

The honey mushrooms were good but so expensive that I am not sure I'd get them again. They actually did smell like honey when they cooked! I served them with salt, pepper and a dash of honey (I am a vegan that eats honey so maybe I am not a vegan according to some, any way if you do not eat honey agave would also compliment the flavor nicely.)