Friday, August 17, 2007

Mini Italian

I adore miniature foods. They are both cute and easy to manage, and mini foods mean greater variety. I love tapas, sushi and dim sum because you get to try like 5 different things in one meal. This is also why I love cocktail parties. Who doesn't love hors d'oeuvre s?

For dinner Matt and I made two snacktastic Italian dishes. Albondigas (Meatballs in Garlic-Tomato Sauce) and Tuscan Mushrooms. For the meatball recipe, we used pre=packaged veggie meatballs from Whole Foods so we just used this recipe for the sauce. This was a predictably tasty and satisfying dish. I do not mean that in a bad way, but really what could possibly be bad smothered in tomato sauce and garlic? They are reliably delicious ingredients and a recipe starring the combo really would be hard pressed to disappoint.



As for the mushrooms, they were as delicious as they were beautiful. We used vegan Parmesan in place of the Romano cheese.



I've kind of gotten away from reading vegan websites, blogs and cookbooks. The mindset of vegan cooks is often too limited and things get repetitive. I have been able to find much more interesting recipes reading stuff from non-vegan cooks. I just replace their not-vegan ingredients with vegan versions. Doesn't work with a grilled steak so much, but I do not really want a grilled steak any way.

No comments: